RE: Looper's Essential Listening revisited: the 1980's

I had a friend that turned me on to Fripp. He had seen him at the Bear's
Lair in Berkeley in the late 70's. Just Fripp and his tape decks.
Through that friendship I listened to:

God Save the Queen/Under Heavy Manners and was mesmerized by the
repetitive nature of that work. David Byrne sings on "Under Heavy
Manners" in his quirky style speaking out a series of -ism words.

Through that I got into crimson and other fripp.

Let the Powers Fail was a favorite of mine. I had it on cassette and
would listen to it on long road trips. Unfortunately I lost the cassette
some time ago (and since have lost the ability to play tapes in my car).
I was always fascinated by the way Fripp would construct and then
deconstruct his pieces. Sort of starting with a single tone and then
ending the same way.

I don't think that the League of Gentelmen is looping (someone correct
me if I'm wrong) but it had a repitive feel to it.

I'm curious how many of you had your first exposure to this style of
music through Yes' "We Have Heaven" which must be some form of looping.
I've never investigated or heard how that was recorded.  That album was
on my turntable an awful lot when I was twelve.