Re: RC-50 Fade Out

Bill,

You're on the right track with feedback.  Indeed, for a looper to loop
indefinitely, feedback would be at unity gain or 100%.  However, if
you want the loop to slowly change over time as you add new bits and
old bits fade to nothingness you'd want feedback set at something less
than 100%.  If feedback is set at 97% for example, it takes so long
for the old stuff to fade out that a listener may be ignorant of the
subtle changes until a half-hour later they find the loop is
completely different from where they started.  Conversly, if a
musician wanted to quickly get rid of a section they may set feedback
to something like 50%, where the next time around the existing
material will only be half as loud and new stuff will easily cover it.

Being able to control this feedback level (usually with a pedal) is
obviously a major boon to loopers.  It turns the loop into a living
entity, growing and changing over time versus a static loop with
overdubs (and perhaps undos).

Todd