Re: Do I need that EDP?

On 27 feb 2006, at 03.26, cburke55@comcast.net wrote:

> From all I’ve read and heard you all say, the EDP with the pedal
> sounds like the
> gold standard (apart from the Eventides and such) and the only real
> complaint I
> think I’ve seen is that it’s not stereo.

Yes, judged by functionality the EDP is The King. As Todd hinted
there is also the Looperlative coming up, but there's no manual yet
although future possible software upgrades for more unique functions
has been promised.

I have an EDP and have no problem at all with it being mono. On the
contrary, that's what I want when I play mono instruments into my
looper. But when I play in stereo (as happening when using a FireworX
fx unit) I want to loop my signal in stereo. This leads me into the
third option which is to put the equal amount of money into a
portable computer with audio interface and load it with some good
looping software. If you like the EDP feature set Mobius for XP would
be a good start.

> The 198 seconds seems short
> these days, but none of you seems to have issues with it.

You can make a four seconds loop sound as a five hour loop by
constantly spinning new audio into it by overdubbing and fading out
old layers by feedback. Or cutting new audio into different segments
of the loop. That's the dynamical style of looping many EDP players
are into.

But there is also another looping concept, which is about capturing
loops, keeping them spinning without changing them and then creating
musical variation by bringing all these loops in and out of the mix.
If you try to do that on an EDP you would quickly run out of those
198. For that "Static Loop" style you would be better off with
Ableton Live on a laptop or a Repeater rack device with a fast CFC
memory.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)