Re: Jon Hassells music

On 7 mar 2006, at 09.24, rune fagereng wrote:

> t I love Jon Hassells music !

YES! Finally a thread worth reading ;-)  I too love Hassels stuff.
Bumped into his music back in -79 and it completely blew my mind. A
friend said he was "using synthethizers" but I didn't believe so. It
took years to dig out the fact that he actually was playing a trumpet
into a harmonizer, using musical phrasing he had learned from
studying for an indian singer. In the early eighties he was touring
to a Swedish city and I managed to go there over the day/night to
watch the concert. That was the first time I came to hear the use of
"Freeze Reverb", a wonderful effect that now comes bundled with
Ableton Live right into your laptop - if you want. That concert was
also the first time I found out that the UDU was the instrument that
created another sound I had fallen in love with from only hearing it
on recordings. Today I jam with udu players and it's a rather common
instrument around here.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)