Re: what a loop has to say

Wow.  I posted the original question last night and come back to find 8
LDdigests in my mailbox...cool.  Seems the thread has had a few
unrounded multiply/reverse/overdub button pushes while I've been sleeping.

Where to begin?  I use a few synthesizers as my primary looping sound
sources.  I also run a Fernandes guitar (with sustainer) processed
through a DSI Poly Evolver Kybd for my guitar sounds so I'm not even
going to touch the effects vs. no-effects discussion :-)

I just finished recording my 1st CD full of looping pieces and I notice
I didn't name any of them at the time of recording.  As others have
mentioned, now I'm relistening to them and trying to decide how to name
them descriptively (or maybe just call them 1, 2, 3, etc...).  I haven't
yet really tried to determine a feeling/theme beforehand then express it
with a looping piece, but it feels important for me to be able to
develop that ability.  Adding vocals are a quick way to do that.  I was
at last years looping festival for the Saturday performances.  I can't
recall his name but he was the 2nd or 3rd performer.  He built up a
foundation loop of whispered phrases then built from there (with bass
guitar I believe).  I thought it was brilliant.  Like providing a
subliminal undercurrent of the piece's meaning...not clearly stated like
a song title but bubbling around underneath trying to surface.

I think what's cool with looping is the freedom to create pieces ranging
from total sonic anarchy to The Girl from Ipanema.  I find creating
complete abstract music to be very challenging and the tools we now have
make it possible to fly (or fall) with real-time composition.  It's a
great time to be a musician :-)

Dennis