Re: what a loop has to say

In German (thanks, Phil!):
Musikantisch means musical technique.  Musikalisch means
musicality  Both are continuums and both vary in single person from
time to time and from place to place but I'm going to simplify.

A person can have great musikantisch (technique) but lousy
musikalisch (musicality).  Likewise a person can have great
musicality and lousy technique.

If a person has great musicality, I don't really care about their
technique as long as they can express their musicality.  You could
look on several excellent classical composers as mediocre piano
players who need a whole orchestra to make their music sound
good.  Finger and breath control, effects, sequencers, orchestras,
that's all part of technique.  Miles Davis had mediocre technique but
his musicality?...amazing.

If a person has great technique, someone with great musicality can
use them to realize their vision.  I've played with folks who have
wonderful technique but mediocre musicality.  What the wonderful
technique gives these folks in performance is the ability to realize
and elaborate on musical ideas presented by others who have more
musicality.

If a person has mediocre musicality and technique I really don't have
any time for them.  Sorry, life is short.

If a person has great musicality and technique then they are among
the truly blessed and it's a pleasure to listen to them.  Kris is one
of those folks.

Cheers,
Kevin

The Nettles: Progressive and Exciting Celtic Music
www.TheNettles.com