KLF The Manual

I've searched the LD archive and couldn't find a reference to the book by
the KLF (Bill Drummond, Jimmy Cauty) "The Manual" (HOW TO HAVE A NUMBER ONE
THE EASY WAY).

There's an online version of it:
http://www.klf.de/online/books/bytheklf/manual.htm

Now I don't know if any looper is interested in placing a number one in the
UK charts. Some things are specific to the late 80s, some of the people
involved have since deceased (Scott Piering, John Peel), nevertheless it's
an interesting read.

Some quotes:
> Michael Jackson [...] CAN come up with the bass lines.
> "Billy Jean" was the turning point in Jackson's
> career. That song, on his own admission, took him into the mega
> stratospheres where his myth now reigns. The fact is, "Billy Jean"
> would be nothing without that lynx-on-the-prowl bass line; but he
> wasn't the first to use it. It had been featured in numerous dance
> tracks by various artists before him. Jackson and Quincy must have
> been hanging out around the pool table in their air conditioned dimmed
> light atmosphere, L.A. studio one evening wondering: "What next?" when
> one of them came up with the idea of using the old lynx- on-the-prowl
> standby.

This one motivated my posting about it to LD:
> Serious groove merchants hate it when a song has a dynamite bass line
> for the verse and then when the chorus comes the chords change,
> dragging the bass away from its "bad self" into having to follow
> those limp wristed chords. For them the whole movement of the
> song is destroyed for the sake of some nursery rhyme element
> they would rather see dumped.

Bernhard