Re: MaxMSP looping -

At 8:18 PM -0400 5/5/06, Brian Cass wrote:
>AFAIK, Max is the only one of these 3 that has the feature I REALLY
>appreciate - alias modules. almost everything i do involves having
>multiple versions of whatever looper/filter/gadget i have created.
>basically bc i am dealing with multitrack looping. It is very handy in
>Max to make one structural change and have all the other copies change
>with it. I wish the Nord and Reaktor had this ability.

Yes, although I don't think of them as Alias Modules, but rather as
Abstractions, Subroutines, Functions, or Methods (depending on my current
programming language mindset). The Max community mostly calls them
Abstractions.

I can tell you probably already know this, but for general pedagogic
reasons, I'll continue. The use of instance variables makes all the
difference. Lets say I have a patcher named Vibrato. I could have an
argument to Vibrato that would change the type of vibrato that was
applied.  For example, "Vibrato Guitar" could have positive going vibrato,
while "Vibrato Violin" would apply vibrato that went positive and
negative. This allows each instance of an abstraction to behave
differently depending on what instance arguments it has.

It's also worth pointing out that patchers can be nested however deeply
you need them to be.

-C

--
Chris Muir           | "There are many futures and only one status quo.
cbm@well.com         |  This is why conservatives mostly agree,