Dumb question again

Hi again

So I''m going to get a Looperlative but have an unusual opportunity to get a cheaper unit in the mean time. A friend wants to buy me one so we can fiddle while I'm in the Bay Area. I know this is not a simple question and there's no clear and simple answer but...

I can buy an old LExicon JamMan on ebay. There's two that don't appear to have the upgrades.
The Digitech Jamman
Boss RC 50
Or...????
When I first asked about this some folks said to get a cheaper unit and see how the world of looping works for me etc. I guess it makes sense. I'm aiming to do something like Bill Walker does - acoustic stuff... inspired by Michael Hedges etc. What do you use, Bill?

Should I just bit the bullet and buy the looper and control pedals etc? Part of me says to go ahead and do that but the frugal part of me says test the water first.

And I'm sorry I mentioned the dreaded 'chops' word the other day. I think I was misunderstood. For me, chops is simply the ability to play what you want to play well. It has nothing to do with pyrotechnics, which I don't pursue... or going to Berklee or 32nd notes etc. My particular interest in chops is being able to make the guitar moan... and drawing out the glorious tone of the instrument & making it work.

As one of you said, it all boils down to creativity. I support any music that's creative and has passion. I just start to day dream out when that's not there.

I appreciate found music and mistakes. And I recorded Miles Davis once (with Jim Smith)... so I am deep into the glory of accidents with music. I love Eric Dolphy and Blind Willie Johnson, Charles Ives and Charlie Parker, Robert Johnson and Robert Dylan - it's a very long list. Actually, I try to not judge other's music really. It's not my business. I was just impressed with how INCREDIBLY simple my daughter wanted the guitar to be. Simple is very good. In some ways simple is much harder than complex. It's just, once you figure out the parts, it LOOKS like you've been playing the guitar for a month or two. But that's just ego and ego... well...

Anyhow, back to the looper. I don't need any effects etc or reverse looping etc for my current needs. Just simple looping and a relatively easy way to switch from Loop A to B, maybe to C and back and forth. And I'm very sorry to ask this. I know it's an incredibly stupid and hard question to answer without more data.

Thanks

richard sales
glassWing farm and studio
vancouver island, b.c.