Suggestions to Increase Ease of Reading the Daily Digest was Re: Sheer Volume on this List

I find myself in agreement  with Steve Lawson (and many other old timers
who
post here) that in earlier days the list was more pithy and interesting to
read because there wasn't so much chatter and there were more substantive
subjects.

My wife recently pointed out something to me that happens at this list to
unnecessarily increase it's volume
without necessarily increasing it's pertinence:

Some people who post a lot  work at jobs where they are continually at a
computer
terminal, so they are able to respond, instantly to posts that come in on
the list.

Consequently,  it is possible to send continual small messages back and
forth the list
several times a day.

I, personally would be more attracted to reading the list all the time  if
we cut some of the chatter out of it.

In other words,   the kinds of posts where people are responding
individually to each other
as opposed to really forwarding a discussion or topic.

These are important personal communications but not necessarily ones that
need to be read by all.

I am quite a frequent poster so I'm not
trying to call the kettle black but more and more when I feel like making
these kinds of communications I email the specific
person (whose email address is always on the post, conveniently) instead
of
sending to the list.

It's just a suggestion and is put out there with ultimate respect for all
who post here.