Re: keeping loops interesting

I think a key method here is to not think about "the loop" but focus
your mind on melodies that may come after the loop or a melody to add
on top of the loop etc. Looping is not different from playing in a
band: you just cant listen to your own instruments, you need to
really listen to the other guys instruments. Then rely on your
musical instincts to let your own notes just drop here and there as
comments to other sounds.

Or to put it in ice hockey terms: use Split Vision!!! Do not stare at
the the puck, but take in a full scan of the complete field and only
keep enough glimpses of the puck for bringing it with you as you move
though the playing field. I love that allegory, it's so close to
making music (and keeping loops interesting :-)  Like meditation too:
"relaxed concentration".

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)