Re: Keller Williams / jam bands/ rc50

What's the hype about jam bands, anyway?  And adding looping to boot? How
much burnt sage, petrulli oil, and hours of noodling can folks actually
tolerate?  :)  Heh heh...sorry, I had to get that one in.

I guess I don't understand what more looping can add to the jam band
thing,
unless it is to replace a band member, which would be fairly easy to do
given how repetitive most jam band "jams" are...and folks want to add more
repetition to an already repetitious structure?

Now, if we're talking the really good Phish improvs, that is a different
story....those guys know how to jam without it being a mind numbing, THC
induced, drone-on-the-same-string/scale-for-a-fucking-hour fest.  You
could
take a nap, wake up and hear the same shit playing.  Most jam bands I've
seen are virtually devoid of any creativity. It's a social thing, albeit,
like sex, drugs, and alcohol with Rock n' Roll...no one expects artistic
genius.  Even Keller's set is not that inspiring from a creativity
standpoint. The final music output is entirely unoriginal...the chops are
standard (except the vocals and therimin playing, which have much to be
desired), and the looping technique is fundamental. That's his bag I
guess,
but I'd wager that any of the competant multi-instrumentalists out there
(thousands) could pull a similar set off with little effort, after
learning
the basic functions of the looping device. What is left after stripping
every other possible unique factor away from his set is that he appears to
be one of the only successful guys doing it for large crowds...this says
nothing of the music, by the way, just marketing, time, and energy to
create
a niche. I'm sure it works for him...I'd comittt suicide if my musical
career came down to that.   I hope this gets someone bent out of shape...I
like bending people out of shape!  :)

K-