Re: Keller Williams / jam bands/ rc50

> From: "Krispen Hartung" <khartung@cableone.net>
> Even Keller's set is not that inspiring from a creativity standpoint. The
final music output is entirely unoriginal...the chops are standard (except
the vocals and therimin playing, which have much to be desired), and the
looping technique is fundamental. That's his bag I guess, but I'd wager
that
any of the competant multi-instrumentalists out there (thousands) could
pull
a similar set off with little effort, after learning the basic functions of
the looping device. What is left after stripping every other possible
unique
factor away from his set is that he appears to be one of the only
successful
guys doing it for large crowds...this says nothing of the music, by the
way,
just marketing, time, and energy to create a niche. I'm sure it works for
him...I'd comittt suicide if my musical career came down to that.   I hope
this gets someone bent out of shape...I like bending people out of shape!
:)

I guess I'll bite for a short moment. . .

So yeah, maybe thousands could pull it off, but what would be the point?
It
would be insincere, and most audiences can smell that a mile away-so while
it might sound similar: competently played, no offensive mistakes, even
some
fake passion-there would probably still be something missing.

When music is distilled down to it's mechanical nuts-and-bolts, it's easy
think you might be able to quantify and decode an event-I find it hard to
believe that maybe you've never witnessed a magical moment where "simple"
music, played by an "ordinary" player, (maybe even with a few clams thrown
in) moved an entire roomful of people.  For a creative guy, you're sounding
somewhat intolerant.

I'd just like to suggest that intent and context might be important aspects
of a performance and those admiring audients appreciate something the
performer provides; to quantify them as stoned simpletons only highlights
your own prejudice.

Oh ja . . . there's my boring 2 cents.