Re: OT: 40 YEARS of DRUMMING

What a great story, Rick! I'm kind of a sucker for reading musician's
memoirs, ever considered writing a book?

Speaking of memoirs, I've been reading a bunch lately, spent x-mas at
home in bed with an infection (don't worry, I'm getting better, and it
spared me the obligatory family trip). Read Andy Summer's "One Train
Later", about his experiences before and during the Police. He's a
surprisingly witty and charming writer, and his life as an
almost-famous guitarist for the decade or so before starting the Police
is pretty interesting. I essentially learned to play bass by copping
riffs off of the first 3 Police records, so it was great to read about
the reality behind the music.

I'm in the middle of Caetano Veloso's "Tropical Truth: A Story of Music
and Revolution in Brasil" about the Tropicalia movement of which he was
a big part. Veloso is one of my favorite musicians on the planet, one
of the greatest songwriters living, regardless of genre. His story of
making sublime music against the backdrop of politcal and cultural
chaos is fascinating.