Re: Free Stuff leading to Hell? (was: OT: Audio Quality (Wasadvice needed)

At 19:20 +0100 2006.12.28, Per Boysen wrote:
>I'm a big fan of the Creative Commons movement and I'm seriously
>looking into giving away an entire album, newly recorded, at http://
>www.jamendo.com or some related player.

I like the CC movement, but not the CC license itself, too much.  For my
own stuff anyway.  Basically, I give away all my music for free, and at
some point I may put out a CD with some benefits over the free stuff
(probably better mixes, for example, and of course, higher quality
renderings than 160 kbps MP3), and hope some people choose to buy it.  If
not, that's fine too, since this isn't how I make my money: I just want to
get my music out there one way or another, and these days, even free music
is hard to get heard, even if it's pretty good.

Obviously, some people disagree, at least for their own music.  That's fine
by me.  I can't remember the last time I "pirated" music: if I listen to it
and it is not freely given to me, I buy it.  But for my own music, the free
route works fine.  If I relied on this to eat, I'd probably think
differently.

A quick note about DRM: I think it fails because it restricts the user of
the music too much.  When I buy music, I want to use it as the law entails
me to, and DRM restricts me far more than the law does (for example, I just
bought, for my wife, an old Roger Whittaker Christmas album on iTunes Music
Store, and she cannot listen to it on the bedroom squeezebox music player,
as I can listen to all my MP3 and non-DRM AAC files, because the slimserver
software can't read the DRM files).

On a somewhat related off-topic note -- and no, this is not a thinly
disguised plug for you to download my music! -- some of you may be
interested in my own web site, for the technical/aesthetic aspects.  I
basically wrote an iTunes clone in JavaScript/CSS/HTML, complete with
dynamically updating playlists, playing songs inline (with the help of the
del.icio.us Flash-based MP3 player), and so on.

        http://pudge.net/tunes/

This web-based music player I wrote is not a software package you can
download and install (though maybe someday it will be), but you can
download the HTML and JS and CSS and image files and use them (unlike my
songs, all the code I write *is* "open source" and available for anyone to
use for any purpose).  All you really need to do is take the JavaScript
file and fill in the top data structures with your own song data.

And now back slightly on-topic: I finally got to play with my first looper,
the BOSS RC-2, last week.  Still playing with it, but so far it's just been
a great tool to practice, experiment, and write with.

Merry Christmas,

--
Chris Nandor             tunes@pudge.net       http://pudge.net/tunes/
Slashdot                 pudge@slashdot.org       http://slashdot.org/