Re: OT: MIDI CC Resolution (was: Considering building an ultimate looper...)

Quoting cpr@musetrap.com:

> One solution to this is to map the Pitch Wheel command (0xE0-0xEF)
> to volume..the Pitch Wheel command is 14bits, 0-16383.. no new
> hardware needed.. of course there is only 1 of these per channel,
> and 16 channels per cable (or device), but one should be able to
> work with that as well.. And, as well, the receiving device has to
> be able to work with this as well, so your milage may vary.. My
> reworking of the MIDI support in the LP1 supports this..

CPR,

My understanding is that it isn't actually the MIDI Spec at fault here.
From
what I can see, there are multiple Continuous Controllers that are
designed to
be used in MSB/LSB pairs (just as the Pitch Wheel command is designed) in
order
to provide much more discrete resolution than merely 7 bits.

IIRC, controller #'s 46-63 were originally designated for use as the LSB
for
CC's 14-31, and then 101/100 & 99/98 were explicitly matched into MSB/LSB
pairs.  I'm sure there are others that I'm forgetting here (aren't there
'unused' LSB's for things like Mod Wheel and Breath Control?) too.

So, would I then be correct in assuming the biggest deficiency here would
actually be in the fact that few, if any, MIDI control devices (faders,
footpedals, whatever...) will send matched pairs for anything other than
Pitch
Wheel?

Of course, the receiving device has to be able to make sense of the data
stream
as well.  However, I'm assuming that if you can reprogram the MIDI support
in
the LP-1 to accept MSB/LSB from the Pitch Wheel, it would be a reasonably
simple matter to do the same for a different pair of CC numbers.  If the
LP-1
*could* accomodate greater resolution from using such pairs, is there any
device out there that could actually send them?

       --m.