The Wonders of MAX/MSP

Oh, don't get me started!  (well, here the coffee this morning kicks in).
am definitely on the way to MAX addiction.  As I mentioned on the MAX user
group, I had taken a lengthy break from MAX.  There were just too many
things on my pallet of effects and systems. Originally, I used MAX to
create
my own VST host, to replace Chainer, EnergyXT, Bidule, etc....that worked
great, and I even created or borrowed a few of my own MAX patches (delay,
pitch, ringmod, my super Brian May chord builder pitch shifter), etc. But
maintaining my MAX skills, plus maintaining my memory and application of
over 60 VST effects, not including Reaktor (running as VST with it's many
ensembles) eventually got to me. I just got fed up, as the over-abundance
of
effects were distracting me from music making. So I just said that's
it...I'm simplifying.  I'm no longer using any VST hosts, and my goal is
run a pure MAX-based system (no VST).  In less than a week, I replaced all
my foundational VSTs (reverb, delay, chorus), with MAX patches (reverb is
the most challenging), plus built several more MAX patches, including that
emulates my favorite Blackbird (Reaktor ensemble) effect, and some other
bizarre tone-mangling patches. I already have a MAX patch that emulates
one
of my favorite Boss VF1 pathes.  Moreover, I reduced over 60 VST effects
on
my screen to only 15 or so MAX patches that run cleanly only as MAX
patches
(not VST). And now I can focus on building really good and unique MAX
patches, one addition at time, all built to my own specifications

Now the only two VSTs I have running in MAX are Mobius and Reaktor.  If
Kaiser has anything to do with it, he'll have me converted to his Kaiser
Looper patch. Maybe that conversion will occur this weekend, who knows.
I'm
keeping Reaktor because it is still a very powerful program with amazing
effects and library support from users. Eventually, that will be the only
VST in my system. And of course, I need to be able to conroll all this
stuff
with my Behringer.

Oh, and you guitar synth lovers, my next project is to create a MAX patch
that analyzes my guitar audio input, determines frequency, and then sends
MAX synthesizer objects, like saw, etc.  My dream of creating a MAX
version
of the famous Roland GR300 (think old Abercrombie and Metheny stuff) will
eventually come to fruition!

So, Ted, if you decide to take the leap, the journey will have many pathes
and will seem tedious at times, but the payoff is amazing if you stick
with
it. The hardest part is giving up the addiction of all your prior effects,
like what I did with my VSTs. You just have to let them go....clense
yourself. Start from scratch. The catharsis really creates a whole new
sense
of focus. But the letting go is the hard part.  I believe some folks just
won't be able to make this sort of transition...it's a pesonality thing,
neither good nor bad. For me, I like to flush things out once in a while.
It's useful for the psyche and sense of creativity.

Kris