From: lifeisgood
Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2007 3:26 PM
Subject: Re: mandolin from mars

hm, so.. sm57 or beta 57?
What are the differences between these anyway?
Its going to be used on vocals (sometimes loud), zither, percussion (loud and quiet), bowed cymbals etc

Krispen Hartung wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm enjoying "Mandolin from Mars" since yesterday.
Excellent. I like to hear that.

> Krispen, may you tell us about the looping set up?.
> Is your looping system enterely laptop based?.

Yes, everything but one song (Cthulhu On Mars, which is using a Boss VF1 for delay/pitch in addition to the laptop)) is laptop based.  I use a Lenovo (IBM) ThinkPad T60p (Intel Duo) with the Inigo IO cardslot soundcard. I use an LR Baggs acoustic preamp on some of the songs too, to condition the level of the mandolin, EQ, etc.  Inside the notebook, I'm using Chainer as a VST host, with several VST effects (Reaktor, Hipno, PSP42/84, etc...and some of my own MAX/MSP patches converted to VST).  And I'm using Mobius to loop, controlled by the Behringer FCB controller.

> Tweaks on "Probe Out" are wonderful.
> All going here is Reaktor processing?.

The frst half of the song is primarly just looping with the mandolin with reverb, delay, chorus, and then mid way through the song I start using a varity of Reaktor ensembles. This CD was heavy with Reaktor. It's practicaly an advertisement for the program!  :)

Kris