Re: Flow and Electronic Musical Instrument Design

I'm glad this discussion has come up - it's something I think about a lot.

When I made the switch from cassette 4-track to computer hard disc
recording, I quickly found that my recorded productivity took a sudden
and steep downturn. I simply didn't have the patience to edit,
normalize, noise-reduce and master each track before going back to
record the next one, or opening up multiple programs to work with the
same audio file, or mapping out each fader adjustment. Of course there
are solutions for these, but the solutions usually involve adding more
hardware or software.

As a live performer on electronics, I feel like I'm right on the 'old'
side of the age threshold where everyone starts using laptop
computers. (Most 'electronic musicians' I know who are my age and
younger use laptops.)

I feel like my current instrument (drum machine) is a great foot in
both worlds - I can make complex electronic sounds as much as anyone,
but I also get that expressiveness and immediate sound-to-gesture
relationship of 'real' instruments.  I was recently looking at getting
one of the newer drum machines - where the keys are mapped out in a
more sensible way for notes (4 rows of 5 keys like a bass guitar) but
then they miss all the features that make my current one so good (drum
roll button). The new ones have expression pedals, but no drum roll
button. (scoff)

Matt Davignon
www.ribosomemusic.com