Re: Laptops -dedicated to music only?

On 27 jun 2007, at 19.04, Qua Veda wrote:

> This is what I expected,  I just thought I'd check to see.
> I've been using a MacBookPro running WindowsXP in Parallels as part
> of a
> pilot program at work. It occurred to me that if I bought my own
> MacBookPro,
> perhaps personal stuff could be run in Windows(Parallels), and
> music stuff
> on the MacOS.

That's a good idea, if you really are sure that you won't need to run
any music applications in windows. If you want to do also audio work
in Windows you should use Bootcamp. With the latest version of
Parallels you can boot from the Windows XP partition made with Bootcamp.

If I had a MacBook (or MBPro) i think I would do it different though;
using OS X and XP/bootcamp for audio applications and OS X for
personal stuff and Internet.  I know that would save up massively on
time, frustration and money for me. Not to mention needing any virus
protection software for the Mac side of the box, I hate those things
because they slow down the system so much (I tried it on my PC but
had to reformat and reinstall Windows WITHOUT virus protection and
think twice)

> But I think there would be a problem with memory allocation
> etc so that you'd end up with neither OS taking full advantage of the
> hardware.

I think so too and have been told, by those early adopters who have
tried, that this might be the case. No problem though, simply turn
off Parallels when you need full recourses for audio work in OS X.
And reboot with BootCamp if going for audio work under Windows.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)