Looping and Latency (was Re: Laptop Looping)

> The latency thing?  Well, in multi-track recording, the application
> (Cubase in my instance) compensates for the latency.  The only time
> one notices any latency is if one is monitoring from the computers
> output stream (the analogy would be to monitor a recording from the
> playback head).  (Zero latency monitoring bypasses the computer
> processing).
>
> Live looping is an application where you are both monitoring the
> output data and playing in sync with the computer.  So, the latency
> that is unnoticable in a recording situation becomes a big factor
> for live looping.

That's why I monitor through Mobius- to keep the timing straight.
Actually I always monitor through whatever program I'm using, and have
for quite a while.  Easier to do accurate punch ins and so on.

So yes, in a technical sense, monitoring through the program adds
latency, but for me, it feels just the opposite.  It's monitoring the
direct through the soundcard that throws me off.

Anyone else feel this way?

-rabbi

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?