Re: OT: RME Firewire 800 and Guitar Amp Sim - Preamps

Krispen Hartung wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "andy butler" <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk>
>>
>> A third option would be to use a dedicated instrument DI input.
>> andy butler
>
> But what will be the real audible result to the output? Better frequency
> range?
> Less noise? Better dynamic range? More clarity? Essentially, enhancing
> the tone that I don't
> like to begin with. :)  Now if that little DI is adding a nice Fender
> Tweed or Boogie tube tone, with
> some subtle breakup, a variable response to how hard I pick, etc. then
> now we're talking....more like fantasizing.
>
> Kris

ok, more detail needed I guess.

there are 2 sorts of line level inputs.

The "old style" which probably won't have the gain for a guitar plugged
straight in,
...and the more recent designs where the mic and line inputs are served by
the same circuitry,
where you usually get given plenty of gain in the "line" input, but the
signal has to negotiate a pad followed by a cheapish mic pre circuit.

Either way, the impedance is going to low compared to a guitar amp, which
means some loss of frequency response.

A dedicated instrument input will have a high impedance to match that of
an electric guitar.
Also, you can get a nice high quality one.
The high quality gear will give you stuff like "more detail" and
"more open sound" but really it's pointless to describe when
it's just easier to hear it for yourself.

...but as you want a bit of crunch to the sound a dedicated
guitar pre, or indeed the front end of the amp that you have
and like would seem to be the way to go.

For the record I used a TLA EQ1 valve EQ as DI when I recorded my cd,
and switched to an ADA MP1 guitar pre after that to be more mobile. Now
I stick with the MP1 (supposedly like the front end of a
Mesa Boogie) because I discovered all those nice valve
distortions. I like the sounds I get.

I find that for looping, an accurate amp/cab sim reduces the available
bandwidth to play with, and is somewhat restrictive.
(where 'restrictive' is not always a bad thing)

andy butler