Re: Noise / Ambient / Circuit Bent Looping

Though it's an unfashionable dinosaur and with almost none of the
features of the RC-20, I personally would recommend the Digitech PDS
pedals, either the 2-second or the exponentially pricier 8-second. They
have a really tasty sound quality, and the ability to shift pitch
w/delay time (two octaves from extreme to extreme) lends itself
extremely well to creating interesting noises. They also can be tweaked
internally for longer delays/loops, with lower resolution as the
additional results which can also be a nice thing. Good sound references
are Bill Frisell's older stuff (check the live record with Joey Baron
and Kermitt Driscoll), and Sonic Youth's Lee Renaldo (who uses the 20/20
chorus/flange/echo, which is exceptionally tweakable).

The 2-second versions, the PDS 1002/2000, are so cheap on Ebay that you
could pick up three or four of them for the same price as an RC-20 and
arm yourself with some real hell-raising potential.

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com
www.chinapaintingmusic.com