Re: another survey (wasRe: OT, but getting close to not-OT: guitar/sax improv sessions)

>>> 2) "the beauty of the single note line" - how many guitar players/
>>> players of multitimbral instruments can do an improv. gig using  only
>>> single note lines and hold an audiences attention? for how long?

The interesting thing for me is that my wife likes my playing best when I
just
sit down on the couch with my acoustic guitar and freely improvise...the
simpler
(even single line notes) the better.  All the complex, textured looping
material I
do doesn't touch her in the same way. I find this to be the case with most
of my
non-musician contacts. They can only consume so much.  When it comes to my
own listening, as well, I tend to like the more simple approaches. I
really
like to
listen to Bach's Partitas for solo violin. It's so pure and simple...but
also emotionally
complex. Playing single line notes on one's instrument is sort of like the
speaking
voice. If you can carry on a conversation with your instrument, without
resorting
to having 6 voices speaking at the same time, and still say something
meaningful
to your audience, then that is quite an accomplishment in my opinion.

Kris