Re: Looking for a pitch shifter pedal

At 7:47 PM +0000 11/17/07, Ian Popperwell wrote:

>That's really helpful, I will check both oout. Yes, I've been really
>disappointed with the PS-5 - it's good to hear that it's not just me!

Yeah, it's not just you.  Roland/Boss have this habit of putting out
new products which are not necessarily an "improvement" over the
previous model.  Sometimes this results in a new product branch that
is interesting all on its own.  More often, it merely involves
rehashing a bunch of stuff in a different way to churn the market and
generate sales based merely on releasing a "new" model.

In short, I've heard a lot of people complain about the PS-5, while
praising the older models (PS-3, PS-2).

FWIW, the PS-3 does contain a 'whammy' function, if that's what
you're after, and can be used with one of the external Roland/Boss
pedals for control (EV-5, FS-5u/l, etc.).  Obviously, the way it
degrades with the whammy is different than the way the original
Digitech degrades.  Try 'em both and see if either has a sound that
appeals to you.  Also, I may be mistaken, but I thought the Digitech
Space Station also had some pitch transposition functions.

Still, it sounded like you might be looking for a more high-quality
unit, rather than one that degrades interestingly however.  If that's
the case, the floor-unit specification kind of limits you (since most
of the really good units are racks.  In addition to the TC Helicon,
there's also a couple of the high-end TC Electronic floor units that
might give good results (generally, TC Electronic are really good
effect units overall; lots of people here rave about their higher end
units).  I've not used any TC Electronic units that do pitch shift,
so I can't really speak authoritatively here, however.

Don't know of anything Eventide for the floor (yet).  Maybe if
there's another successor to the Time/Mod Factor series, but who
knows.

The Alesis Ineko can give some rather interesting results (even
though it's not strictly pedalboard, it will fit on one rather
nicely).  I use an Akira, which is the same thing with slightly
better quality, but rackmount.  It does a very good job and gives you
a bunch of other effects as well.

Or alternatively, if you're really into completely bizarre, there's
the Death By Audio Robot.
http://www.analoguehaven.com/deathbyaudio/robot/  ;)

        --m.
--
_____
"Image is blasphemy. Text is heresy. The spoken word is a lie."