How far does looping go back? Farther than you think....

Wow, what next? A hand drum made by yourself in the rain forest, with the
skin of an animal you slayed yourself for nourishment, and the wood of a
tree you cut down for shelter? :) Back to basics.

What is the most primitive looping technique and experience in the world?
One might imagine a Homo Habilis (~2.2 to 1.6 million years BCE), Homo
Erectus (~2 to 0.4 million years BCE), Neanderthal (~200,000 to 30,000
years
BCE), Cro-Magdon (~40,000 to 10,000 years BCE) shouting, singing, or
banging
an object in a cave (in Europe) or a large canyon (in Africa), and being
amused by the echo (loop).  I'm quite sure some human/hominid ancestor
experienced this phenomenon and the intrigue with hearing our voice or
some
other sound repeat by means of a power outside our control.

So, did looping start with Terry Riley or Steve Reich? Maybe from a modern
technology standpoint, but certainly not in principle as a human
experience
or even from a general technological standpoint (given that tool use is a
form of technology and goes back to ~2.6 million years ago). I'd say it is
very likely that the proto-humans experienced their first looping
experience
over 2 million years ago.

BTW, what's the longest delay time you've experienced by shouting in a
large
canyon or cave?

Kris

I'll do you one better...

I haven't turned on my rack of gear in about two years.  Instead I've been
playing flamenco, just me and my guitar.  There's something beautiful in
the
simplicity of fingers moving strings, strings moving wood, wood moving air.

I still like hanging around here listening to you folks grip about gear,
though. ;)

Todd