Re: 'slow gear' effect

Hi Qua,

I took five off to read up on the SE-70 and I really got surprised by
how useful it seems! Below is what Patchmanmusic's Matt writes about
the SE-70. Matt is the in-house sound designer at Patchmanmusic and
his sounds are used by the leading wind controller synthesists of the
world. If he thinks the SE-70 is "amazing" there must be something to
it ;-)

>> Boss SE-70 Super Effects Processor
>>
>> The Boss SE-70 is an amazing device. Aside from great sounding
>> reverbs, delays, etc..., it has several effects that are not
>> commonly found on other effects processors. It has 2 vocoders, a
>> guitar synth, bass synth, (these synths can track any mono
>> acoustic instrument complete with a dynamic enveloped filter and
>> amp envelope!), a tuner, a 60 cycle hum remover, a vocal remover,
>> TRUE stereo reverbs (stereo in and out), great sounding
>> distortions and pitch shifters, a 20(!) tap delay, 16 stage
>> chorus, 40 stage phaser, a sampler, and on and on. It can chain a
>> large amount of effects for massive processing. It can respond to
>> MIDI controllers and up to 3 pedals. It's a pretty cool device. It
>> is capable of doing all sorts of things to your sounds. The guitar
>> and bass synths algorithms can be used with the acoustic trumpet
>> or flugelhorn as pitch-tracking synthesizers! That's right, this
>> thing will track your horn and synthesize it (internally only- it
>> doesn't do pitch to MIDI conversion). It sounds great!

Obviously there is no way in the world to "guess" how the thick
texture of your "slow gear" sound is done within the SE-70. What you
can do is to get hold of a unit for a while and analyze it. That's
what I did with the Eventide Eclipse and the TC Electronic FireworX.
For the sounds I liked I checked out (1) what effect modules were in
use, (2) how these modules were routed, (3) how parameters in
different modules were linked to parameters in other modules for
interactivity and finally (4) how the performance parameters where
set up for the musician. When you learn a bit of this you can set up
the same effect patches in software. But, I'm not sure this is true
for the SE-70 though, since it has some functions that may not yet be
available as software "under the same roof". Please don't take my
words for truth here, because I have not played with e SE-70 yet.

Links:
http://www.patchmanmusic.com/MattsEVIGigRig01.html
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Boss/
SE-70/10/1