Re: OT: room mic recommendations

Veda, Qua wrote:
> I need to mic a room (~25' x 50')  to supplement the wireless lav mic
> worn by the main speaker. The purpose is to provide some modest sound
> reinforcement for folks at the rear of the room,  and for recording
> the various speakers and audience response.   Just need a good clean
> mic signal, doesn't have to be very high quality or very 'sweet' since
> none of the speakers will have the mic right at their mouth.
> I'm thinking a dynamic (cardiod?) mic  would on a stand out in front
> of the podium would adequately capture the speakers who are not
> wearing a wireless mic as they move around the podium.
> As an alternative , I thought of a PZM confererence table mic like the
> old RadioShack/Crown mics. But not sure there is sufficient available
> surface area on the podium.
> Budget is low.  Would a sub-$100 mic be sufficient for this?    Such
> as a Samson?  Or  one of the less expensive Shure 's
> Recommendations?
A mic having an omni pattern will be OK for picking up lots of sound...
even the PA speakers!  Potential for feedback.  Omnis are not good for
sound reinforcement for that reason.  Micing individuals at long
distances is problematic without a shotgun mic.  Good ones are
expensive.  You might be better served with a wireless handheld mic and
have someone run it to individuals before they speak.

Cheers,

Bill