Re: OT: anybody dealt with tendinitis?

Here's a little story that might shed some light on at least one thing
I've learned in treatment that defies what doctors all told me years
ago.  My reason for dissing anti-inflammatories and making the band aid
metaphor is that there is a reason inflammation is occuring and to
simply treat the symptom is generally never a good thing in my
observation.  I've been a fairly good athlete  a good chunk of my life
and have obviously dealt with a lot of injuries.  For example I used to
twist ankles all the time...had this...wonderfully helpful Center (who
became a police officer and got smacked by a car and has been in a coma
for years... I pray somehow he'll pull through some day) who would stick
his foot under me as I was trying to take someone to the hole..knowing
I'm blind on my left side and there was no way I could see the guy.  But
anyway I'd lay there screaming in pain and..finally figured out that
pampering it and icing it and trying to keep swelling down was just
making things worse....to where I was on crutches.

I finally got really pissed off and developed an attitude of delving
INTO the pain (barring anything being actually broken bone wise...) to
find a solution.  It happened the next time and I just said "this isn't
working" and I jumped up enduring the pain and began to run exerting
what pressure I felt was good on the thing and I just ran right out of
the gym and went on a good long gradual run, focusing on what was going
on in the ankle.   Then later I went out again after some nourishment
and ran on it on uneven pothole ground and...maybe this sounds like a
kung-fu school...but it worked!  I never sprained my ankle again after
the next time I think.  I remember doing this twice and...no more ankle
sprains  EVEN amidst the injury, the best thing was to just skip the
ice, skip the ibuprofin or whatever that crap is...  and just get out
with my body and work it with full awareness of what was going on.
Perhaps this develops a keener awareness and ones MIND learns to be
involved in controlling various body functions that promote healing?  I
think the reason most people just fear the pain...and sometimes the BEST
thing to do is that which may hurt the worst for a little while.

Case in point 2.  A few years ago my 90+ mph throwing arm got badly
damaged by this guy in a jesting video wrestling match who gave me a
bloody nose because he's out of control.... and I tried to stop the
match noting that I was bleeding and he had to get a good photofinish as
I stopped resisting trusting that he wouldn't be an egghead...but he was
and he threw me down with his weight (220) and my 185 landing on my
right elbow and driving the rotator so hard that any normal person would
have gone to the hospital.

But silly me...instead of incurring absurd expenses, I worked it and
worked it for a few minutes, did push ups with excruciating pain right
away...and kept working it what felt like would be good and within a
couple weeks could throw a football maybe...20 yards again :-). But
after a good chunk of a year was throwing more like 50 yards again
because I to the weights you normally pull in from both sides..and just
pulled one of the cables around and around with 25 lbs on it and just
worked the sore area and focused on it so I wouldn't overstress anything.

Most of these types of problems are like that.  You have to spend some
time doing physical therapy.  And the therapy is best if it's fairly low
stress, high repetition and you aren't on any screwy drugs and chemicals
that you put in your body besides the nutrition that will allow the
cells to actually rebuild the damaged stuff.

I've had good success with this method with the broken wrist also and a
inverted finger in another case (hit a guy's knee going for a steal.
Man..that looked ugly.  I reset it and kept playing and actually got
smoking hot right after that and put away a team that was ahead 6 to
2..hehe..) , having abnormally fast healing.  So I strongly recommend a
regular physical therapy aimed at creating good circulation in the area
of the problem and a high rep/low stress work out there that will
promote repair with appropriate nutrition as the baseline for recovery
on these kinds of things.  It takes time but it's a steady road to
progress.