Re: What will become of the Repeater pitch stretching techology,I wonder

Surely with the Repeater if the pitch shift is done "tape style" the
overdubbed audio won't be corrupted.
(just asking).

By "tape style" I mean that the pitch increases as the loop length
decreases,
like on the EH devices, I understand that the Repeater can do this, but
that it's default is to time stretch.

When the loop is time stretched it's very difficult (impossible?) to
overdub without artefacts, because the sound that you are writing to the
loop has to go through an inverse time stretch to be written, and then is
time stretched again on playback. So you get double the artefacts, and
even when you return to normal playback the overdub is still fried.

Personally I wasn't impressed by the time stretching on the Repeater, but
there's no doubt that a lot of people liked the interesting sound. I
wasn't able to sus out how it worked with just the small amount of time
I've had to play with a repeater.

As to Per's comments about the best pitch shifters being non-realtime,
hopefully it will be possible eventually to use those algorithms on a loop
so that it plays back at the right time using a compensation for the time
taken by the algorithm.

andy butler