RE: Why SHOULDN'T musicians be paid?

My perspective on this extraordinary debate is likely skewed but I'll chime
in anyway. My goal since I was a teenager has been to make my living
entirely in music, and I have been blessed to have been (modestly)
successful at it for over 20 years now, although I certainly do not make a
lot of money. My income is about 50% teaching, both privately and at the
college level, and about 50% gigs, depending in large part on the time of
year. Like many on this list, I have put my whole life, spirit and soul
into
what I love because I was somehow driven to do so. I value highly the time,
effort and passion that I have put into learning my craft, and in a perfect
world I believe others should value this as much as any other profession
which demands so much unpaid training, such as a doctor or lawyer. It is an
imperfect world, however, but I still value what I do and what I am and do
not gladly give my services away.

Is this an idealistic stance? Yes it is. Is it impractical? I haven't found
it to be so, but I have put a lot of effort into marketing myself, and I'm
fortunate to live in an active and vibrant market (Northern California).

As a rule I do not play without compensation excepting my annual faculty
recitals, which are free to the public and I view as part of my salary, or
festivals (such as Y2K) where the "exposure" - I hate to use that word - is
very real and beautiful and not speculation or fantasy. I get calls to do
"benefit" gigs all the time (I'm a classical guitarist, so I play a lot of
corporate parties and weddings), and politely turn them down if they cannot
pay my usual fee. They generally then sound perplexed or questioning, and I
simply ask them if they are making a salary calling people and asking them
to donate their services and time. They almost always are, and that usually
ends the conversation, that is unless they ask for a recommendation of
someone else willing to give their services and time away, which I decline
as well.

Love and Music,
~Greg
http:/www.gregwilliamsguitar.com