Re: Frequencies was Re: AW: AW: OT: new Macbook wíthOUT Firewire :(

I haven't done a research study on sample rates, but I have studied the
subject in the classroom and in the real world.  As you increase the
sample
rate, you build a better quality representation of the original signal.
In
terms of what you hear, this will translate to a lower noise floor.
Personally, I don't know how much better, but if you have equipment
capable
of handling 192kHz sampling instead of 48kHz, then you might as well use
it.
If you are a professional recording studio, you want to use the absolute
best that you can afford.

On the other hand, you can record at 44.1kHz and 48kHz and find that the
quality of sound is exactly what you want.  In fact, if you are going to
distribute the music digitally on CD or compatible with a CD then you will
be providing the listener with music sampled at 44.1kHz no matter what
frequency you originally sampled it at.  There is no advantage to 192kHz
sampling and down converting to 48 over simply sampling at 48kHz in the
first place.

As for aliasing effects that were discussed, all A/D converters use an
anti-aliasing filter before the actual conversion.  This prevents beat
frequencies from appearing in the audio.  In fact, modern A/D converters
use
a two-step anti-aliasing filter that provides a very sharp cut off of the
dangerous frequencies.  So, you aren't going to hear beat frequencies in
the
result because the difference in frequency between the original signal and
the sampling rate are large enough that the resulting aliases are outside
of
the audible rangle.

Bob