Re: OT: MacBook buying advice?

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 12:36 AM, Buzap Buzap <buzap@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi Mac Loopers (or owners ;-)
>
> maybe you guys can help me with a decision:
> I was planning on getting a Mac notebook in 2009. I'm in no hurry
>personally. It's just that the recent changes keep me thinking...
>
> Now, I have just seen an offer for a white MacBook with 2,4GHz/2GB/160GB
>for 970,-EUR. They may run off these in the next days. So I have to
>decide if I should get one now.
>
> The thing is: I won't have enough time to spend with the machine until
>ca. March 09 - I'm in no hurry.
> So: do you think this is a "now or never" chance to get a decently
>priced Mac notebook with Firewire - or should I just wait for a good deal
>(or maybe going to US, getting a MBPro...) sometime later in 2009?
>
> best regards
> Buzap

I have one of those and it's a good computer for music! Definitely
powerful enough though and I plan on using mine for a decade if it
lasts. I love staying with good tools and I hate upgrading ;-)  The
safe way to buy gear is to go for last years model, because then you
know that the product will work reliably and that software drivers are
good. As an example, you rarely find the latest gear at professional
studios (maybe for the "impress-the- client" factor, but not for real
working purpose as when on a deadline and paying for your man hours
out of your own pocket). I would recommend that you get the insurance
though. You can still pick it up later, within one year after the
purchase of the machine and will then have free service for three
years, including the first one. For me that was my luck once when a
Powerbook's neetwork capabilities once went down just the week before
the third year ended. I left it for three days at Apple's repair man
and got it back with a brand new mother board!

Since you're saying you "want to get a Mac notebook" I won't argue
about what good work you can as well achieve with Windows boxes - I
guess you, just like me, rely on some applications and plug-ins
available only for Mac that simply don't have any competitor in the
Windows world.

Myself, the Mobius Mac standalone version, has recently got me into
thinking that I may even in the future become a member of the MacBook
Pro strata that Apple is working so hard to target. Obviously their
market analysts found that the great audio capabilities of the MacBook
is not a major wish among the consumer market users. Slim design is
what most people rather want, and so they decided to take away the
firewire from the consumer boxes to save room to shrink them more.
Yep, sad fact of real life that is. I think last years MacBook will be
hold a historic model as the last consumer prices machine that also
pleases audio nerds. In the future musicians will have to go for the
MacBook Pro model.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen