here and now / evolving loops

Matthias,
> interestingly the delay machines before 1992 mostly forced us to evolve,
>because they were fading
>  (some had a freeze   function but it often brought a hickup)
> while the more recent loop gear like a RC20 hardly lets us evolve...

In my experience when working with loopers, a very important aspect is
how feedback is implemented. All of the loopers I know have either a
fixed feedback value somewhere in the upper range, or they allow you
to adjust feedback (think Repeater) but only while you're overdubbing
(I believe this is called "secondary feedback" in the EDP realm) - the
sole exception being the EDP, and of course any delay effect (DD20, D2
etc.).

For me, the important innovation in my way of working was to also have
feedback<1 when not overdubbing, which automatically forces you to
evolve. Thanks for pointing that out - I'm with you in suggesting to
other loopers to work with a looper which allows to do that or else
just use a delay instead of a looper.

           Rainer