One Guitarist, One Drummer was: Altered Tunings

--Mark wrote:
"have to have a bass player.. infact it was just me, the drummer and the
singer, she also fired off
samples. small band... big noise!!!"

Yeah, it's cool that you said this, Mark.  Lately I"ve been fascinated by
the concept of a band with
only a drummer and a guitarist (with augmenting effects).

I'd never really listened to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs (mostly because their
singer puts me off a little bit)
but  a friend of mine who is enamored with noise and distortion guitar
(and who I really respect a lot
as a musician)  hipped me to the fact that this guitarist is really cool
and innovative:  and that's his
approach.   I also found out that he is using a lot of live looping to
clone himself in live shows
(to pull off parts that are obviously overdubbed on their records).

I picked up a CD and an EP of their's and have really enjoyed what he's
doing with one guitar.

Also,  my multi-instrumentalist friend, John Connell (who plays everything
from traditional Persian
Ney and Daf to synthesizer to Black Metal guitar and who was one of the
really cool newbies at the
festival this year)  said a really cool thing that I never thought about.

He said that most of the ethnic world uses this paradigm:   One string
instrumentalist and one
drummer.

There is an amazing amount of freedom when there is only one guitarist and
one drummer
and there is also a primalness that is very cool and deep potentially.

I really love that thought...................I'm just being the equivalent
of a Tuareg playing
guimbry and an accompanying Bendir , when I play electric guitar and drums
(thanks to looping)

What other single guitar/drum groups are out there, per chance?

PS  by the way,   I changed the name of this thread, purposefully for
future researchers in our
archives.   I think it's better to have more things to search in the
am mildly afraid that I'll upset the person who started the original
thread when I do this)