1 gtr, 1 drummer // gear reviews in GP // andre lf's sound / experimenting

not sure if these were mentioned in the 1 gtr/1 drummer thing:

david torn's 1st solo album, "Best Laid Plans" w/ geoff gordon-although i think he's listed more as percussionist, but i love that album

and ani difranco when she was on tour a lot in the late 90's played w/ just a drummer, a friend of mine said live w/ just a drummer she was very powerful.

wasn't sure if anyone saw in the newest guitar player (and again, i can't even remember who was on the cover) there is reviews of the line 6 m13 pedal and they have a review of the boss slicer. now the funny thing i thought about the reviews, they said the m13 was good in combining all the line 6 pedals in one + looper, but the slicer review was weird,  made some reference about "try to use it creatively", so it doesn't sound like someone who messes around w/ it at a guitar center store-that the sound of this pedal will become very noticable or cliche. it just seemed like a weird review to me.

yes, i remember the reviews of andre's normalized talking about it was just guitar into his old tube amp, recorded direct (i think). but then i read another review of him talking about all the plug in's they used in the recording to tweek eq's and stuff, and 1/2 of it i didn't understand, but to me, after that, i thought, well it doesn't sound like just guitar into tube amp & edp and record, anymore. but i still love that album, and i will say that it did take me awhile to warm up to it.
and then a couple of the youtube vids i've seen of him playing live, it sounded like he can play the material from that live and it sounded good, so guess the tweaking was an audio thing, and not so much a performance thing.

i will say the GP's review of the slicer got me experimenting-they said the slicer takes the sound and makes like tremolo'd sound w/ filters (i think they referenced squarepusher) and can do the various 50 preset rhythms, so i played around w/ my tremolo presets on my digitech rp150 and zoom g2 and turned on my synthwah and messed around w/ that. and i will say it got me some interesting sounds (oh and i used my ibanez de7-delay to manipulate the time a bit here and there). couldn't get it as trancey/rhythmically as i've heard in demos of the slicer, but got some interesting stuff. i should probably record it....
oh well....
happy looping
s---