RE: Fwd: here and now / evolving loops

Along the lines of what Daryl describes I'd like to add the strategy I
employ often, which is the creation of a neutral melodic part that can also
be of a rhythmic nature but uses intervals other than the 3rd so I have the
luxury of going major or minor with what ever chords I lay on top with
another loop or overdub. For an example, lets say I confined my note choice
to two pitches, a major 2nd apart. Now those two notes could imply several
keys, and depending on which octave you play them in, they don't
necessarily
have to imply a root point either. I tend to start with these simple parts
in high or mixed registers. They can be of a rhythmic or drone nature
depending on your approach. So lets look at the notes C and D as and
example. They could imply a Root C to major 2nd D in the key of C, The IV C
to V D in the Key of G, The  minor 3rd to 4th in the keys A natural
(Aeolian
minor), A harmonic minor, and A melodic minor (ascending).  The V to VI in
the key of F major, etc. So now comes the point where I lay a chord
progression down over the top or in my case on a separate track. I usually
will work in one two bar progression but you don't have to. Then I will
move
to a new key or imply a modulation by replacing that information with a new
chord progression rather than put it on a new track, I just use the replace
function which also allows be to replace just a portion of the track, if I
so desire. Some might think this method cumbersome but it works for me, and
the cool byproduct is you keep replacing tracks so even though you might
use
this technique in a simple A/B chord progression, it tends to keep loops
sounding fresh  because you keep replacing them, rather than toggling back
an forth between loops you had created at the beginning of the piece. I
guess there is more risk involved that you play your parts slightly
differently each time but I also find this a more forgiving method if I do
make a mistake is I can always stay in replace mode until I get it right.
Replace is one of my favorite functions for taking a left turn musically. I
have a  foot controller preset dedicated to replace. I have one preset
dedicated to replace + track speed toggle, and one preset for those two
functions + reverse. Another cool strategy is to build up a few layers  of
very sparse loops that aren't implying too much harmonically, and then
create a loop that is a very long progression, perhaps and entire AB or ABC
form , and then start to play melodically on top of that as you start to
fade the progression away using feedback manipulation. Another cool trick
is
to play a long progression and only record the second half of it so the
loop
keeps tagging the last few bars until you decide to replace that content
with something new. Some of these approaches may be idiosyncratic to the
Looperlative and software based loop programs, but the concept of making
the
first loops minimal and harmonically neutral can apply to any looper to
minimize the static nature of a chord progression looping over and over as
well as give you more key modulation options. The more I blog on this list
the more worried I am that I keep repeating myself...but is that not the
looping way??
 Bill