WAAAY OT: On transience, sad beauty, and The Western Tradition

MASSIVE snip from the following only for the sake of brevity.

Anyone who has chosen to take offense, umbrage, or exception to my comments earlier today, please go read the following definitions of the word "maudlin" before addressing me on the list ...of course, feel free to email me off list about this.

http://www.answers.com/topic/maudlin
(an exhaustive, multi-lingual set of definitions ... surprising the number of cognates that show up there!)

http://www.english-test.net/gmat/vocabulary/meanings/109/gmat-words.php#maudlin
(a little lame, considering this one is for the GMAT)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/maudlin
(One of MY favorites for specifically citing the etymology from Mary Magadelene's name ... )

http://thinkexist.com/dictionary/meaning/maudlin/
(I'd missed the whole drunken aspect, but I think it kind of goes with the "crying in your beer" turn of phrase)

http://www.dictionary.net/maudlin

So folks, please RE-READ carefully what I said. I was being critical of no one (well, perhaps just a wee bit about Percy Grainger, but only about his personal life ... still love his music) and was actually citing some examples of highly emotional music that I have been very much moved by and influenced by having listened to it or performing it.

Best to all in 2009,

Dennis "I've been known to be 'maudlin' a time or two" Moser