Re: OT: Pay royalties for own music on own website?

Hi Buzap.
I think the issue is a bit broader then it seems. The fundamental
difference is, that not only you, but everyone who uses your music on
their website is required to pay royalties for the onlin euse of this
in Germany. This is not the case in the US, where any music online is
generally unprotected, or at least not subject to royalty payment,
unless you are with a publishing company who watches the online usage
independently.
I personally prefer the German way over the US way of handling
copyright, although it seems, that generally one's pretty slow here in
adapting legislation to the state of demand, especially when it is
about online use of music.
Additionally it shoudl be mentioned, that you can call GEMA directly
to obtain a form, which allows to exclude your own site from the
collection of royalties of your music, for the obvious promotional
reasons.
The department responsible for those things should be the Multimedia
department, to be found here:
GEMA-Generaldirektion
Rosenheimer Str. 11
81667 München
Tel.: 089-48003-800
Fax: 089-48003-357
E-Mail: info-ind@gema.de

No, i am not working for GEMA. I am just happy about the frequent
license payments from them. It was hard work to establish that,
though, since with every statement every 3 months they need to be
reminded to doublecheck what they sent. This starteg has proven to be
working with some of my music friends as well. I can only recommend
asking stupid questions, and writing real letters containing them.
They are so "anal" about doing correct work, that you can easily take
them up on this. After a while it works out fine, unless you don;t
release anything and never play live.

Good luck.

- - -
jayrope