Re: OT: True Sound Morphing

Per Boysen wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 10:15 PM, andy butler <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk>
>wrote:
>> I bet it's possible with digital editing to gradually transform one
>sound
>> into
>> another, but the problem is deciding what ought to happen in the middle.
>

> Right, and the technical solution for that would of course be to
> define as many parameters as possible in both sounds and have the
> values of them parameters glide over continuously towards its new
> position. This can be done in Numerology, for anything that can be
> mapped to MIDI, in the new synth Alchemy from CamelAudio (eight
> simultaneous sound parameters) and in the looper Logelloop.

possible,
but that creates "synth sound morphs into synth sound".

Lets forget the *need* to automate, and have it worked out in a fraction
of a second by a machine.

With digital editing it's possible to take any sound and from that
produce an imitation of any other sound, with the limitation that
it's not really possible to synthesize the depth of an acoustic recording.

So, pick your 2 sounds, and then imagine the mid way point.
Each of those sounds then gets processed towards the mid point sound,
saving all the intermediate stages.

Then putting it together would take some work to blend from stage
to stage throughout the morph, using whatever technique works best,
sometimes a crossfade might work,
sometimes a the sound might need to be broken into frequency ranges and
those could be pitch glided individually.

With a bit of trial and error, hard work and inventiveness it should be
possible.

To get a good result might take days ;-)

andy