From: Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Tuning guitar in fifths for wider orchestration options
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Date: Friday, February 27, 2009, 7:39 AM

Great post, Marc! You actually said what I was trying to say - "your
fingers have to be faster than your brain but your brain (and ears)
has to stay in command".

Sorry about appearing patronizing, even though talking to "a brick"
;-)  That interpretation of my post reminds me that I need to work on
refining my English more. I guess my English fingers are faster than
my brain...

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 1:02 PM, mark francombe <mark@markfrancombe.com>
wrote:
> I DO see what you mean Per, and i have had similar experiences in regards
> my Piano education. As a kid I was taught from age 4, reading the little
> black dots, playing the keys.. and learning scales. By age 9 I was grade 8
> (UK levels thing... dunno what it means really) and COULD NOT IMPROVISE A
> NOTE... Found rock and roll, got a guitar, started teaching myself...
> improvising, and promptly forgot all my piano! ... and have many
theory's as
> to the wrong way of teaching an instrument now...
>
> BUT...
>
> I must say that your response is a tad... um obscure... (and not a little
> patronising... altho dont mind me... I LIKE it... Im a brick).
> I think for you to improvise truly with your instrument, you have to...
> er... be at one with its neck...(man) have some routes around it, that you
> don't "know to be true cos you have analyzed the structure of the
tuning
> system" but "FEEL to be true, cos thats where your fingers
go...!"

> Just cos I know that a note played 2 stings across and two notes up is an
> octave, doesnt mean that I play the same on the 3rd string as I do on the
> 1st...
>
> I suppose I play guitar based on what I read about Micheal Karoli from Can
,
> his approach was to play free and loose, letting his fingers go where they
> will, but within the contraints of what his fingers had learned. I am not
at
> all interested in the atonal scrabblings of free improv jazz guitarists, i
> think its boring, but to improvise freely without restrictions on melody
and
> structure, but creating music WITH melody and structure, then I need my
> fingers to work faster than my brain... and my fingers do that... now...
For
> me to start with a new tuning now, I could get some theoretical and tonal
> exitement from that, very much so... but it would be brain powered, not
body
> powered.
>
> But I DO want to try... maybe Im taking shit...!
> Im gonna give it a go... I have a spare guitar, and Im gonna tune it to...
> what?
>
> What are the specific string tunings for this 5ths system...?
>
>  Im gonna tune like that... and start recording... watch this space!!
>
> mark
>

> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Marc,
>>
>> I think the guys that experiment with different tunings don't
really
>> "think" the music as "an instrument". We rather
think the the music as
>> the notes; I mean, according to a key, a scale (not "guitar
neck"
>> scale but the real sounding scale, the vibreations) and a tonal
>> center. If you think music like that, all you have to do is to find
>> out "where on this new instrument are the octave, the fifth"
etc etc.
>> Soon you're off playing your usual stuff with the new
instrument's

<mark@markfrancombe.com>

<cazwicky@earthlink.net>

Would make