Stories

     "A story > needs meaning, doesn't it?"
   I would say a major component of meaning is emotion, (others include time,memory/experience, imagination family/social dynamics,reason etc)and certainly music can express emotional energy. Very simply, improvs that have beginning/middle /end sequential quality are similar enough to stories that they easily become screens for personal emotions to be projected onto. If the player(s) are expressing emotional energy it can be easy for other's to relate  it their own emotional energy  . Perhaps this has something to do with mirror neurons. Seems to me humans have some mysterious(fear of empty space/ambiguity?) need to understand the world and their experiences,and therefor come up with stories,mythologies, models (scientific ,philosophic etc.), art, cosmologies,, etc.