Re: Live 8 Beta Looper and Mainstage together - first impressions

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 6:45 AM, Andrew Schoen <larjschoen3@mac.com> wrote:
> I was truly excited to hear Ableton Live was going to add a looper to
>the Live arsenal!  I have yet to open the demo,
> as I have other projects right to finish right now, but it is my
>understanding that any loops created can be brought into Live as an
>entire loop clip.

Correct. There are two ways to do this. Drag the loop and drop it on
an audio clip and the usual way of routing it to an armed audio track
and activate a slot for triggering recording.

> This is where I am really, really disappointed.  I hope I am totally
>wrong about this, but it seems to me that this is an extreme oversight on
>Abletons part.

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean that it is bad that they did not
implement a ful Undo History, as in Mobius, that would open up for a
command to save old layers of a loop as separate files?

> Right now I am using my Guitar Rig 3 Loop Machine, and once I get
>something I dig, then I export it as separate wav files and bring those
>into Live as separate clips and away I go.  At least 50% of all the music
>I do starts this way.
>
> I just think that if you could separate your loop parts and import them
>as individual clips, then I would be in loopers heaven!  If anyone knows
>differently, please let me know!

There is a slicing function now in v 8 that devices a loop into parts.
Not sure it works directly on the looper audio, but definitely on a
clip frozen from the looper content. If you by "parts" mean earlier
layers of the loop, that is not possible because only the latest layer
is kept aside in a buffer for the Undo function.

It's right that Lived 8's Looper is not very complex, but for some
users that's a good point. I think it's pretty close to the Loop
Station pedal from Roland.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se