Re: choosing between these soundcards for laptop

> Jeff wrote:
> I'm also a fan of the Ultralite.  I have the original one (not the
> Mark whatever).  The thing I like most about it is the flexible
> routing. Since there so many channels with zero latency monitoring,
> you can set up monitor mixes and stereo effects loops and still have
> channels left over for computer IO.

I have the Ultralite for 2 months now. I told this list before but imo
it's perfect for many of us: flexible routing, compression, EQ, reverb,
balanced ins/outs. I use 4 stereo mixes now: FOH PA, stage monitors, live
recording and a mix to feed the LP1 with Mainstage, Bidule and my hardware
synths instruments. I agree with you Jeff, the routing options are great.

> You can also use it without a computer. It takes a lot of twisting
> tiny multi-mode knobs, but it can be done.

I don't mix individual channels when playing live, I only use the master
level knob to change the level of my stage monitor or headphones.

> I'm told the mic preamps aren't as good as the RME but it's almost 1/2
>the
> cost.

I don't use mics with the Ultralite so I can't comment on the quality of
the mic pre-amps. But I would expect they are more than good enough for a
live looping performance and for the avg. semi-pro recordings we make at
home.

But Jef, perhaps you know this. At the moment, I use a separate stereo mix
to feed a Boss digital recorder. But is it possible to send the main mix
back into the Mac and record a gig with Audacity for example?
---
Sjaak
http://euroloopfest.com/
http://sjaakovergaauw.com/