Re: RC-50 Impressions

kkissinger@kevinkissinger.com wrote:
> Quoting andy butler <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk>:
>

>> 9) Not possible to make 3 unsynced loops.
>>
> Andy, you can configure it to work as three seperate, unsync'd loopers
> by turning off tempo sync and phrase sync.  At least, that has worked
> for me.

Thanks for the feedback there Kevin.

Ahh.
If I recorded a new phrase when one was playing, the RC-50
always played it back synced, even if it was a multiple
in length of the first loop.
I think I had all the "syncs" turned off, otherwise
the loops would have been trimmed to equal length (afaik)

Is it possible to record a 4s loop, and while listening
make a  3s loop and
have them play back in an approximate polyrhythm?
i.e. nearly coinciding every 3 reps of the 4s loop?

My impression was that the RC-50 wouldn't allow that.
...but I only had it a short time.

I only really set it up For my friend who's just going to layer up a few
parts.
So I my report quite likely needs some correction.

>> 12) Manual describes the onboard drum machine as "ultra-high quality"
>and
>>     " a match for a dedicated unit".  That's just 2 outright lies.
>>
> I find the drum patterns to be kind of "hokey".  I have, at times, run
> the drum track out of the AUX output to a small floor monitor to use as
> a click track, though.  I wish it had a simple click setting.

Doesn't it have just hi-hat?

> I've gotten excellent sound quality out of the unit -- I will add that
> it took a bit of tweaking of the gain controls to get it to work,
> though.

Well I just plugged in my guitar. (1MOhm input called "instrument".)
If it's got balanced I/O then Roland are keeping rather quiet about it ;-)

Did you have to lower the volume sent to the RC-50 rather than
turn down the RC-50 input vol?

> I use balanced connections and I haven't done much with the
> microphone preamp.

I've seen it work fine for beatboxing.

Really, I hope anyone who has this unit can get the best out of it.

andy