Re: thinking about moving from rack to laptop...advice please!

Per Boysen wrote:

> Yes of course, that was actually my point - since you get almost all
> the great plug-ins you need bundled with the Mainstage purchase. My
> mistake to leave that for understood in my post, so good thing Andy
> put focus on it.
>
> However, the sound quality aspects I mentioned is not only a plug-in
> issue (although anyone with lots of money could buy a bunch of
> third-party plug-ins of the same quality as the Logic/Mainstage
> bundled). I was also referring to the new multi core processor support
> in the Bidule beta. On Mac it is not as crystal clear sounding as on
> Windows XP. My particular reason for using Bidule is to use the Mobius
> VST that supports multiple loop track outputs in order to use EQ,
> Compressor and some dynamic effects on all of the eight tracks
> independently, post looper. To make the Macbook carry out all that I
> need to run some plug-ins in multi processor enabled mode and I have
> not found any combination that doesn't bring audio artifacts to the
> sound.
>
> Per

I don't understand "crystal clear sounding" in this context.
I get your point that Mainstage on OSX is giving better CPU
usage than Bidule, but isn't it confusing to to equate
the ability to perform a lot of process without getting
clicks and dropouts with actual sound quality?

Well, that's a rhetorical question, I'm sure you'd agree  :-)

Indeed, there aren't a bunch of high quality fx bundled with
Bidule, that's certainly a factor.

Is it possible to buy Mainstage without buying Logic?
...cos Logic ain't cheap.

andy