Re: thinking about moving from rack to laptop...advice please!

fantastic discussion, guys. it looks like midi and the way it's handled by the host may be the deciding factor. sottilaro's ableton setup is almost exactly what i had in mind originally, but having messed around with bidule and heard per's comments on mainstage, i'm on the fence at the moment. i think i'll have to "mock up" various setups on my imac first to see how they work before taking the plunge and getting a laptop. if i have anything interesting to report, or useful comparisons to make, i'll try and post my conclusions here. its going to be a tough process, because i'm really in love with my soundset, but i've had it a while now and i think it's time for a change. i could spend several weeks reprogramming all my patches, but i'll have to do that with a new laptop setup anyway....