Re: How to go all Software with guitar multieffector and looper

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 5:02 PM, Mark Sottilaro<zerocrossing@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> Mark Sottilaro wrote:
>>
>>> I know Per likes Bidule, but although flexible it seemed like a lot of
>>> work to get started,

Short note:
In Live I like the option of setting up MIDI loops (MIDI clips) and
the option to use Clip Envelopes for long and slow automized changing
of a parameter value. For example you may want the span of a band pass
filter to slowly move just a little up and down the frequencies while
audio passes through the filter. Just one clip (MIDI or Audio Clip) in
Live can hold a huge number of such "musical slides", of just about
any length. So within this single clip you may have a dozen "parameter
value loops" spinning at different lengths at the same time. That's
awesome! But sadly I found that not all parameters in plug-ins, even
Ableton's own plug-ins, show up with all their parameters within
Live's routing system. And for the second, I don't like the sound of
Live. So this leads to Bidule where you can achieve that moving band
pass example by cabling a synced LFO to affect two parameters (and set
an appropriate scaling). In Bidule every parameter does show up for
routing, given the plug-in developer implements them to be declared to
the host.

So in my perspective Bidule is simpler. Stuff you don't need at the
moment you won't have to stare at. And the power under the hood is not
crippled, so you don't have to fear the day you want to do something
that turn out not being supported.

But then I happen to like the Mainstage sound fidelity so much that I
always try to use that host even before I turn to Bidule, knowing that
anything you may build in Bidule can always be opened in another host
as a Bidule plug-int, if first saved as a Group from within Bidule.

Per