Re: PrePrepared vs. Improvisational Live Looping Performances

>> Of course,  one (and specifically, me)  run the risk of not having a
>> cogent enough performance
>> or ,  worst yet in live looping,  taking too long to create a piece of
>> music and letting it go
>> on for longer than it is musically interesting for the audience.  It's a
>> constant worry for me and
>> I frequently blow it live.

I personally have a modus operandi that avoids any kind of technique
that has to do with short motives or themes.  I strongly believe, this
is what me always stand apart, that less is more and that the strength
of a few notes, in combination with a clever and lively approach to
incorporating looping devices, can be much more than the sum of
several themes together.
The risk of using several themes after each other is that you forget
to give your set an unique passion and soul.

I have a strong passion for going through the eye of the needle with
one particular motif over the stretch of the entire performance,
whether this is 15, 30 or even 45 minutes.  The beauty of such an
approach is that the motif itself will guide you throughout the
duration.  Through the use of a looping device (mostly only one in the
microphonics setting) is that it pushes me to work around this motif
with the uttermost concentration and, most important of all, to
actually enjoy the beauty of sound in general.

I think that for every loop artist it's essential to first learn and
appreciate the quality of one particular sound, instrument and tool
before you start to play with various elements/themes at once.
I still discover interesting facets about the electric guitar in
relationship to looping after so many years.

This is why I was so enthusiastic about Sjaak Overgaauw's debut
looping performance at the Antwerp Looping Festival.  Sjaak approached
his set with trying to stay focus to just a few things while
maintaining one motif.
This way you can learn much more about the potential quality of each
instrument and looping device you use instead of trying all your tech
goodies out before an audience the first time.  I'm sure Sjaak learned
a lot from this.

www.microphonics.be
www.myspace.com/mymicrophonics