Re: Convolution and software loopers: HW specs

Stefan Tiedje wrote:
> van Sinn schrieb:
>
>> For running convolution/impulse software, not for reverbs but for
>> amp/cab/mic/room emulation for DI operations, and simultaneously
>> running a software looper, I need the per-application min. HW
>> requirements:
>>
>> . cpu speed for single core
>> . cpu speed for dual core
>> . memory size (I believe memory bus speed is fairly irrerevant)

>> Anyone tried convolution on an Atom cpu?  Single- or dual-core?
>

> I didn't try an Atom, but if you don't need reverb, convolution for amps
> etc. shouldn't be expensive CPU wise. There is a buffir~ external in the
> standard Max/MSP distribution, which is limited to 256 samples, which is
> roughly 5.8 ms. (Not enough for room emulation, but that is reverb!)
> If you build the looper in Max, it should be possible to run it on an
> Atom. The memory size you need is completely determined by the duration
> of your loops. In Max you need 10 Mb per minute, as it will store audio
> in 32-bit floating point precision in memory. I had 9 times 90 seconds
> on a 500 MHz PPC Powerbook with 512 MB memory running. Atoms come with
> 1.6 GHz and 1 GB memory nowadays.
> If you are capable of installing OS X on a MiniITX, it should be a snap
> to build a looper in Max...;-)
>
> Stefan

Thanks for the data, Stefan.
Actually, I do/did consider a miniITX board, but also consider using an
Acer Aspire One netbook.  Less expensive, both new and used.
Neatly laid out for mods (eSata, 2.5 GB ram..).  I found a Chinese maker
of cheap USB touchscreens for those (and others) as a direct snap-on,
soldering not even needed.
Buy it used, replace the so-so factory SS disk for a modern one, and I
have a neat platform for the convolution/impulse and looper needs.
Sounsonsound resently had an article about fairly easy touchscreen
programming for OSX.  Look ma! no mouse!  nice.. ;)

Since this will be a special purpose install, I can turn off unneeded OS
buffering and cache, so I won't even need to click shutdown.

The only issue I'm still not sure about is whether the Atom has enough
juice to handle the convolution.  OSX snowleopard includes OpenCL for
utilizing the graphics render engines for floating point. If it's fully
transparent, I'll have far enough processing power.

As audio interface, I'm thinking of a Behringer UCA202 or 222
(http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA202.aspx  or 222.aspx)
which even has toslink out for direct recording to a DAW.

--
rgds,
van Sinn